Home » Columns » Centennial Celebration » The Longoria Ranch and Cemetary

The Longoria Ranch and Cemetary

CentennialSeal
The city of La Feria is celebrating its 100th year anniversary and to commemorate the occasion we are digging deep into our archives each week to bring you images and stories from La Feria’s colorful past.

Juan Miguel Longoria’s grave at the Longoria Cemetary located in Bluetown. Photo: Google images

The Longoria family were among the initial Spanish settlers to arrive in this region in the mid-1700s.

There are two branches of the Longoria family that settled in the Rio Grande Valley region. The Camargo Branch settled in Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico, and received large land grants on the north side of the Rio Grande River from the King of Spain. The other branch settled in Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico.

Modern day descendants of the Longoria family that trace their roots to Santa Maria and La Feria, Texas are direct decedents of the Reynosa Branch.

Juan Miguel Longoria became the owner of the Longoria Ranch in 1841 after the death of his father Irineo Longoria. The Longoria Ranch stretched from what became Sebastian all the way to the Rio Grande river. Photo: Classic Family Photos Facebook Community page

Juan Rosas Longoria and Maria Salome Cano were among the men and women who founded permanent communities such as the Villa de Reynosa, establishing the Longoria family in the area. They and other pioneers introduced ranching into the area with techniques brought from southern Spain, many of which remained in use centuries later.

In 1831 Irineo Longoria increased the family landholdings north of the Rio Grande by purchasing portions of the Llano Grande, La Feria and Ojo de Agua land grants from Rosa, Guadalupe, and Concepcion Balli, which they had inherited from their uncle, the priest Nicolas Balli. He added these tracts to the land of his second wife, Maria Inez Cavazos, a grandaughter of Don Jose Maria Balli. They established residence in the community of Santa Maria.

The Longoria ranch stretched from what became Sebastian to the Rio Grande. The family also farmed the land and participated in the early development of irrigation systems in the Rio Grande valley.

The Longoria family was one of the first settlers to move to this area in the mid-1700’s. Although they settled in Santa Maria and are buried in Bluetown, their story is one that is directly related not only to La Feria’s history but the history of the Rio Grande Valley.

Irineo and Maria Inez had three children and their names were Jose Maria, Gregoria and Juan Miguel. Counting the children from both their previous marriages, they had 15 children. At the death of the Irineo in 1841, Juan Miguel Longoria (1815-1875) became the owner of the ranch. Married three times, he was the father of 17 children. His first wife was Soledad Cavazos.

They lived during a tumultuous time when upheaval frequently occurred in the region. At the beginning of his life, the Longoria Ranch was part of New Spain, later part of Mexico, then it became part of the Republic of Texas, then the Confederacy, and ultimately the United States. Members of Juan Miguel’s family were associated with activities in the second half of the 1800’s to end the mistreatment of Texans of Spanish and Mexican descent.

Ascencion Longoria (1886-1932) is the son of Anastacio Longoria and his wife Julia Ponce.Anastacio Longoria (1842-1922) was a son of Juan Miguel Longoria and  Juan Miguel’s second wife Silveria Ruiz. Photo: Classic Family Photos Facebook Community page

Ascencion Longoria (1886-1932) is the son of Anastacio Longoria and his wife Julia Ponce.Anastacio Longoria (1842-1922) was a son of Juan Miguel Longoria and Juan Miguel’s second wife Silveria Ruiz. Photo: Classic Family Photos Facebook Community page

Throughout this era, Juan Miguel along with his first wife Silveria Ruiz, second wife Teresa Guerra, and and all their children farmed the land and participated in the early development of irrigation systems in the Rio Grande Valley.

Juan Miguel’s second wife, Silveria Ruiz, became one of the first persons interred in the Longoria Cemetary upon her death in 1853.

In 1897 the Santa Maria Canal Company constructed irrigation systems to irrigate 3,000 acres of farm land.

Juan Miguel and Teresa’s sons established commercial ties and businesses in Northern Mexico, understanding the river to be the center of the region’s commerce and economic development.

After his death, Juan Miguel’s third wife, Teresa Guerra, became the family matriarch, raising ten children and managing the ranch from 1875 to 1909.

Juan Miguel’s grave is marked by an above-ground brick tomb. By the late 1990s, the cemetery was in a state of disrepair. Longoria descendants organized to restore the site and its estimated 371 graves to ensure the endurance of the Longoria Cemetery as a chronicle of the diverse history and heritage of this area of Texas.

Marker on Juan Miguel Longoria’s tomb in the Longoria Cemetary in Bluetown. Photo: findagrave.com

Do YOU have any photos, books, or stories that might help us piece together La Feria’s storied history? If so please email us or call our office at 956-797-9920 and let us know!

Did you like this? Share it:

39 Responses to The Longoria Ranch and Cemetary

1. Ms.Rosa Marie Longoria Reply

July 18, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Dear Ladies and Gentleman, I am the daughter of Mr.David Longoria he is deceased. I would live to share what I know via e-mail. I was born in Blessing Texas, Montagorda County. We moved to Michigan when I was 3mo.old.

• Alma Pryor Reply

October 11, 2016 at 1:45 am

I just want to know what city they originated from in Spain?

• Anne Trujillo Reply

September 7, 2017 at 6:50 am

Alma, it is believed that the male Longoria line mentioned here can be traced back to 1578 with the birth of Pedro Suarez de Longoria in Austurias, Spain. I have not officially added this information to my family tree yet because I have not had enough time to do personal research of all the information line by line, but I am fairly sure this is where I will end up once I complete my research. I suggest that you do your own personal research on Ancestry.com (along with other research) in order to verify this for yourself.

I also suggest that you check out this website for more information on Longoria family history: http://www.villadan.com/longoria.htm

• Frances Martinez Hancock Reply

March 3, 2019 at 9:16 pm

A great resource on the Longoria history in New Spain through Pedro Suarez etc. and also the acutal village of Longoria in the province of Asturias in Spain is well documented. Just visit Raul Longoria’s website at http://www.raullongoria.net He and his wife Minerva are webmasters that have documented the history of the area in Northern Mexico and Texas as well as the Longoria history in Spain. They have been to visit the Longoria Village and have met a distant relative there too. There were three brothers who inherited land grants; Pedro, Vicente and Matias Longoria. Raul is from the Pedro line and I am via the Matias line – distant cousins. There are great family charts going back to antiquity! Just check it out. Many blessings in your search.

• Frances Martinez Hancock Reply

March 3, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Alma: Check out the website developed by Raul Longoria at http://www.raullongoria.net that he and his wife have researched. It lists the history of the Longorias in New Spain and going back to the province in Austurias in northern Spain all the way to the Village of Longoria. It has history, ancestors back through the centuries and actual photos of the village of Longoria where they visited and got to meet a distant relative. It is worth seeing the family charts, etc. Best wishes!! I am also a Longoria descendant via the Matias Longoria line and Raul and his wife are through the Pedro Longoria Line. Many blessings.

• Aroldo Gonzales Longoria Reply

March 6, 2019 at 11:08 pm

Longoria,Asturias, Spain.

• Aroldo Gonzales Longoria Reply

March 6, 2019 at 11:26 pm

Longoria,Asturias Spain.The Town is real small and in northern Spain.

• Aroldo Gonzales Longoria Reply

April 25, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Longoria,Asturias Spain and it is Northern Spain not south. I visied in Aug. of 2011 and stayed for one week.

• Angie Ortiz Reply

May 23, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Dear Rosa Marie Longoria,

Please email me at angmenortiz@gmail.com. I am the grand-daughter of Carmen Lopez.

Best Regards,
      Angie

2. Angie Ortiz Reply

May 23, 2017 at 6:35 pm

I meant Carmen Longoria (lopez by marriage)

3. Ofelia Reyes Carbajal Reply

July 7, 2017 at 1:52 pm

This article refers to to Juan Longoria’s first wife as Silveria Ruiz and Teresa Guerra as his second wife. Immediatley after that paragraph, Silveria is noted as second wife; and then the following paragraph refers to Teresa as third wife.

I think that I am related to the Longoria family as my great-aunt, Guadalupe Flores Longoria,was married to a Longoria. She was sister to my grandfather, Jose Maria Flores.

• Anne Trujillo Reply

September 7, 2017 at 6:34 am

Ofelia, yes I know it is confusing the way they wrote the article. Juan Miguel Longoria was actually married 3 times, first to Solidad Cavasos, then to Silveria Ruiz, and his third wife was Teresa Guerra. I believe he had a total of at least 17 children with these 3 wives (although some family trees show more children). You can google his name, there’s a ton of genealogical information on the Longoria families of this time period.

A good place to start is http://www.villadan.com/longoria.htm for an overall look at Longoria genealogy and stories about family history. If you want to go straight to the family info for Juan Miguel Longoria, then go see his “web card” on the same site: http://www.villadan.com/webcards/ps12/ps12_094.htm

By the way, I am also a descendant of the pioneers Juan Rosas Longoria & Maria Salome Cano (the great-grandparents of Juan Miguel Longoria, and my 6th great-grandparents). I’m sure their descendants number into the tens of thousands by now!

• Fran Hancock Reply

October 13, 2017 at 11:15 pm

If you check out the Raul Longoria website, it is comprehensive and outlines the ancestors through the three sons of Don Diego Longoria; Pedro, Matias and Vicente in New Spain and originating in Asturias, down to city of Oviedo and the village of Longoria. One of Raul’s ancestry line is connected to Ireneo Longoria and Bluetown.

• Mary B. Alvarado Reply

November 5, 2017 at 4:34 pm

My grandmoter was Guadalupe Flores Longoria. She was married to Ascencion Longoria. My moms name was Maria Lonoria Beltran. i was born in Bluetown . We are related I remember your grandfather when he would visit my grandma. I also remember some one in your family that had a red mancha on her face . I think her name was Maria, I live in Chandler Az. I would like to know more of my grandma’s family.

• Aroldo Gonzales Longoria Reply

March 6, 2019 at 11:22 pm

I am your first cousin from Los indios,Texas and your mother was my fathers sister.My email is aglongoria@yahoo.com and Harold Longoria on facebook.What happen to Octavio Beltran? I am thinking you were called Chuya when you were little.

• Mary b. Alvarado Reply

August 14, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Yes thats me. Have very good memories of Los Indios. I used to go with our grandmother to see you guys. Tavo lives in Sacramento CA. I remember you , you were just a little boy. think Olga and I are about the same age. Your brother Balto would visit my mom often in Salinas, CA. Miss those times.When ever new Balto knew we would visit my mom he always came from San Jose. mary

• Aroldo Gonzales Longoria Reply

March 6, 2019 at 11:35 pm

You are correct and you also have to know that Jose Maria Florss had two other brothers. Eulalio (lalo)Flores and Florencio Flores.My Grand Mother was Guadalupe Flores Longoria,she was my dad`s mother.

• Ofelia Reyes Carbajal Reply

May 14, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Hi Aroldo! I did not know that my grandfather Jose Maria Flores and your grandmother Guadalupe Flores Longoria had a brother by the name of Florencio. I knew about tio Lalo and I had heard another brother by the name of Pedro Flores. Please enlighten me as I am trying to do my genealogy on ancestry.com

• Aroldo Gonzales Longoria Reply

April 25, 2019 at 6:44 am

You are correct Ofelia Reyes,I am your cousin from the same tree. Guadalupe Flores Longoria was also my Grandmother

• Aroldo Gonzales Longoria Reply

May 1, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Yes, she was related and she was my Grandmother,also my dad`s mother.

• Aroldo Gonzales Longoria Reply

June 14, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Jose Maria Flores, Florencio Flores,Eulalio(Lalo) Flores,Pedro Flores and My Grand Mother Guadalupe Flores Longoria were Brothers and sister.

4. Cole Gonzales Reply

October 4, 2017 at 3:24 pm

My Great Grandma, Lupe Conradena Sanchez Loya is part of this long line of family I read the ancestor papers on her side but not on the side of my great grandfather Robert Michael Gonzales. Because there was not information about him and his ancestry. I have been on a ancestry hunt and I have been given information that this family are my ancestors. I can say that I look a bit like Juan Miguel Longoria. And I wanted to know if I could find long lost relatives that I haven’t met. Feel free to email me.

5. Cole Gonzales Reply

October 4, 2017 at 3:27 pm

The Papers that I have date back to the time of Juan Miguel Longoria, all the way up to the birth of my Grandfather, Robert Michael Gonzales Jr. and his two sisters. I wanted to add onto those papers to expand this family tree. From the birth of my mother to the birth of me and my younger brothers

6. Cole Gonzales Reply

October 4, 2017 at 5:35 pm

And also the papers that I have are from 1997 and were from Chuck and Bettie Sanchez, first generation of the Longoria family to the tenth generation. The father of Juan Miguel Longoria was Joseph Longoria, born in 1689. Married Geronima de Aldape, and she was born in 1700. They became the Mother and Father of Juan Rosa Longoria Aldape in Nuevo Leon, 1728. He married Maria Solome Cano in Reynosa, Tamaulipas, 1745. Maria was born in 1730. And at 16 years of age Maria became the Mother of Juan Miguel Longoria Cano in Reynosa, Tamaulipas, 1746. Juan died unknown in Reynosa, Tamaulipas. He married Adriana Villarreal Santos, and in Reynosa, Tamaulipas, 1770. Adriana became the Mother of Yrenco Longoria Villarreal. In 1772, Adriana became the Mother of Aniceto Longoria Villarreal. In 1790, Adriana became the Mother of Tomasa Longoria Villarreal. In 1791, Adriana became the Mother of Gregoria Longoria Villarreal . In 1792, Adriana became the Mother of Josefa Longoria Villarreal. In 1795, Adriana became the Mother of Romualdo Longoria Villarreal. In 1800, Adriana became the Mother of Feliciano Longoria Villarreal. That was the first through third generation of the Longoria Family.

• Rose F Reply

April 9, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Hi Cole,

I hope you are still reading this page. The names that you have above sound so familiar to me in papers I had and lost from my birth mother, which unfortunately I lost in a fire. I’d prefer not to put any personal info on here, and though you said “e-mail me” I did not see your e-mail address. I have a secondary account I wouldn’t mind posting here on the forum to try to compare notes or start getting on the right track to finding family – at least on my birth mothers’ side.

Thanks!

• Cole Gonzales Reply

April 21, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Yeah, I check up on it from time to time. And I’m sorry that you lost your mother. Yeah that would be great if we could compare notes!

7. Cole Gonzales Reply

October 5, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Read the papers wrong, there is so much info I get lost I think Joseph Longoria was on of Juan Miguel Longoria’s grandparents. Juan Miguel Longoria was not born until the third generation of The Longoria Family

8. Leticia Longoria Reply

November 30, 2017 at 9:19 pm

My name is Leticia longoria daughter of Guadalupe Longoria and niece of Santos Longoria. I’m not sure if I’m in any relation to this family I don’t know my roots from my family. I knew my dad until I was about 6 years old. I know he lived in Raymondville Texas where I’m from. My dad has now passed and my uncle still lives. Not knowing much about my fathers history I am just curious about this. My dad worked for the Sonora Ranch I rennet that also. Hope to hear something from y’all thanks.

• Cole Gonzales Reply

April 5, 2018 at 2:24 am

Probably do. Ive had these papers for years. Im trying to find out more about my family. Maybe find new relatives.

9. Raymond Longoria Reply

August 23, 2018 at 9:35 pm

My father was,Manuel Diaz Longoria born in 1911 born in texas deceased now ,what a good father he was.

10. Rebecca M Reyna-Campa Reply

August 26, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Im Rebecca Maria Reyna,Campa is my married name Juan Miguel Longoria was my father’s John William Reyna Sr. Maternal Great Great Grandfather, making him my Great Great Great Grandfather. This is the first ive heard of these families Im from Apache Junction Arizona my email is rebecca5reyna@gmail.com eould like to know more, Thank You,!

11. Andrea H.Grammas Reply

November 9, 2018 at 1:42 am

I’m sorry to read this Jose Maria Balli and Juan José Hinojosa signed for the La Feria land Grant on July 4 1776 they were the first settlers to leave in La Feria Jose Maria Balli married Rosa Maria Hinojosa De Benavides the daughter of Juan José Hinojosa and Maria Antiona de Benavides later after her husband death she own a million acres do your history before you post something on La

12. Maria Longoria Leyva Reply

January 6, 2019 at 6:25 pm

Is there a site where I can read more about the Longoria history. My maiden name is Maria Eugenia Longoria. May I have someone cobtact me at my email address. I have so many questions.

13. Frances Martinez Hancock Reply

March 3, 2019 at 9:32 pm

14. Roberto Longoria Reply

April 1, 2019 at 3:22 am

my father was jose maria longoria son of tristan longoria son of jose maria longoria son of juan longoria son of pedro longoria

15. Ricardo Flores Reply

April 15, 2019 at 10:04 pm

Hello ,

I recently did an ancestry DNA test and started creating a genealogy tree and it turns out many of the passed down names ads stories seem to be true My name is Ricardo Flores ,Son of Noe Flores Salinas ,Son of Jovita Salinas Longoria , I’m glad I found this page , it helps a lot.

So Hello Guys !!!!

• Ofelia Carbajal Reply

May 14, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Hi Ricardo! So who was your grandfather on the Flores side? My grandfather was Jose Maria Flores and I don’t know all his brothers” and sisters’ names.

16. Yolanda Longoria Rodriguez Reply

September 10, 2019 at 2:28 pm

My name is Yolanda Longoria Rodriguez, I live in Plainview, Tx. and my father was born in Falfurias, Tx. 1926 April 10. I’m from the Pedro Longoria line. Through my father Pablo Longoria, in which his father is Jose Maria Longoria, in which his father is Pablo Longoria, in which his father is Maximilliano Longoria, in which his father is Martin Longoria (Flores), in which his father is Pedro Jose Longoria (Villarreal), in which his father is Pedro Longoria(Chapa), in which his father is Juan Diego Longoria(Garcia), in which his father is Pedro Longoria(Rodriguez), in which his father is Lorenzo Suarez de Longoria Salazar, in which his father is Capt. Lorenzo Suarez de Longoria, in which his father id Alonzo de La Pontiga.

So any one along those lines I am related to you, I know that my third great grandfather was brother to Eva Longoria’s third great grandfather.